[sf-lug] committing to a distro, automated updates

Lx Rudis lx_rudis at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 16 20:40:53 PDT 2006

sarah:
> > So is there a distribution or an application that
> makes updates as
> > easy as they are under Windows?

i'm using ubuntu in a dualboot system.  one of the
first things ubuntu does is check the ubuntu servers
for updates. it then asks me if i just want to install
them or if i would like to see what they are first.

rick:
> apply needed security updates, with much more
> reliable and satisfactory
> results than with the infamous Security Pack drill
> under MS-Windows.

yuck.  i just had to deal with that on another machine
here.  it's like the gift that keeps on giving.  :P

> > By this I mean OS updates as a fully automatic,
> you-never-see-it
> > background feature,

you're much braver than me.  :)

...but most of the time all i'm doing is saying 'yeah,
go ahead and install that', so i understand where
you're coming from, desktop computing-wise.

on the other hand, i often monkey around with weird
peripherals and apps that can get finicky about
drivers, app conflicts, version conflicts etc.  under
those circumstances, i really can't let my machine
enter an unknown state - so much can go wrong, and if
i haven't left a trail of crumbs behind me i can lose
a lot of manhours getting back to a known state where
all the tools and peripherals were working correctly.