[sf-lug] Consumer & admin (was: Possibly interesting data point on jobs postings)

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue May 16 20:00:31 PDT 2006

    I have to say I don't buy it--the stereotypical aunt
tilly cannot manage virus and other software on
Windows. There are lots of people who really don't
know the basic conventions of GUI (how to recognize
different elements and predict how they'll respond
when you wave your mouse around).
    People who can do a little on Windows have
climbed a (available, well-documented) learning
curve and are clinging there, shivering on the
mountain side, clutching at what's familiar, afraid
of letting go.

    Best I can tell (being more expert than I let on, and
therefore fairly blind), Linux and Windows
management is pretty much the same--you know
basic concepts, the GUI is there for you in either
case, no command-line need apply.
    And you wanna CLI? Bash beats batch way far.
    The fact that Linux is more immune makes it closer
to the don't-see-it, don't-need-to model.
    IBM's working on autonomous computers--hardware
and software that heals, fixes itself. Their goal is to
reduce IT costs.

 From  http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/

  In an address to the Commonwealth Club in Santa Clara, California,
Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO, acknowledged that GNU/Linux (just
called Linux in North America) is the greatest threat to Microsoft's
profitability, according to a story by Kristen Kenedy of Information
Week.

Mr. Ballmer states flat out, "the greatest competitive threat we face
is our own ability to either embrace or compete with alternative
business models." In the case of open source, he says his company has
made a decision to stick with its same old corporate business model vs.
going the open source route. He says Linux has been outselling
Microsoft in areas such as networked storage, e-mail security and
e-science, and that demonstrates that the Redmond, Wash., software
marker needs to begin to innovate. "We need to have a better
high-performance cluster technology that Linux does," he notes. "We are
hard at work at it. You take a look at what is going on in security
appliances, we need better technology. So there are two or three areas
where Linux has really developed a position."

Interesting to observe that sales by definition does not include the
large number installed the normal way and actual marketshare is the
combination of the two. This factor is epsecially true at firms with
in-house staff that can download and install open source software on
demand. Also, Mr. Ballmer and others at his company tends to use the
terms Linux, Open Source and open standards interchangeably when
speaking publicly which can confuse the topic.