[sf-lug] last Sunday's SF-LUG meeting news

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed May 10 09:57:38 PDT 2006

another far-ranging discussion last Sunday, included:

* The RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification
is the number-one most valuable, according to some.
    Michael's calling for a RHCE study group.
    I'm interested, and a couple of you have expressed
interest.
    We need a mutual place to work, possibly a cafe
downtown with free wi-fi internet access. Javacat is
not first choice because of its location--downtown is
what some of us are looking for: anybody got a
suggestion? A better choice would be an available
office. Possible meeting times are weekend days or
weeknights.
    The currently favored book is Michael Jang's RHCE
Study Guide, fourth edition (covers RHEL 3, but I'm
confident it'll work for us).
    You wanna join?

* trip to the computer museum in Mountain View.
"Hey! We're SF-LUG and we want a special tour with
all your best and oldest docents to tell us lore." Some
of us are thinking of trying that line.
    Anyone up for a trip to see the old stuff?

* LX brought a rare book: a binder with printouts of
various papers reflecting the history of Teletype
technology as it relates to computers. I went and
made copies and will bring one to our next meeting
(Monday, May 15).

* I, jim, am going to the RedHat Summit in Nashville
TN, May 30 to June 2.
    Anybody else going?
    Interested in a report after I return?