[sf-lug] Rick's explanation of his internet setup.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 1 21:15:59 PST 2006

Quoting David Sterry (david at sterryit.com):

> As for the UPS issue, I think for non-mission-critical use, just make
> sure your bios is set to power the machine back on after power failure
> and test it out to see that all your services come after you pull the
> plug. If your bios doesn't offer the option, definitely upgrade.

This is a good point for most ATX and later machines.  By contrast,
server-class kit such as the VA Research model 500 and VA Linux Systems
2230 use (annoyingly failure-prone) custom PSUs from Converter Concepts
that do power-on automatically.

I actually do know of instances of people putting desktop-grade ATX-type
systems on UPSes _solely_ as a kludge to get around their inability,
otherwise, to come back online automatically after losing power.  For
example, my wife's older machine that used to run "deirdre.net" in our
living room had that problem:   It was supposed to be a 24x7 Web server,
yet she kept having to visit the living room and frob the start switch,
every time there was even a three-second power glitch.

_Really_ antique kit like the K6/233 AT-type tower under my kitchen
table (the one I use to burn Linux ISOs for visitors during CABAL
meetings) escape that problem.