[sf-lug] Rick's explanation of his internet setup.

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Sun Jan 1 21:00:53 PST 2006

This has been a pretty interesting and very indepth discussion. I've
never made it to a meeting but I did go the USENIX show < 1 month ago
and had a pretty good time.

As for the UPS issue, I think for non-mission-critical use, just make
sure your bios is set to power the machine back on after power failure
and test it out to see that all your services come after you pull the
plug. If your bios doesn't offer the option, definitely upgrade.  May I
second the $50 p4 1gb laptop with broken screen? If that has too much
processing power visit http://folding.stanford.edu/

A quick plug: I've recently created a chat server in php/javascript. If
you want to put it up on the sflug or any other php enabled server, go
for it. You can test it out at http://www/sterryit.com/chat or get your
own at http://www.sterryit.com/chatr

Thanks,

Dave