[friday-follies] Candidate brunch places from Yelp (gluten-free)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 24 16:22:22 PDT 2016

I didn't get enough sleep last night, which is why:

> This group's go-to lunch place, the El Torito in Santa Clara, is no
                     ^^^^^
> more (closed and demolished), victim of real estate shenanigans.
> (Nearest El Torrito restaurants are now Milpitas and Foster City.)

_Brunch_, really.  As in, Saturday or Sunday with arrival at the resturant
around 9-10am, generous portions, leisurely eating with conversation.
El Torrito's has been particularly good for this because of the
all-you-can-eat buffet on Sunday.

Deirdre says there's a whole cultural tradition of weekend brunch places
in SoCal, which plainly isn't quite as developed up here -- but El
Torrito's weekend brunch apparently typified[/ies] the genre.

> A good Friday Follies place isn't too crowded, has table service (no
> standing in long lines), isn't too crowded, is accesible for the
> mobility impaired, is quiet enough for conversation, and is moderately
> priced.  I've tried to address those questions where reviews (or
> personal knowledge) permit.

And, did I mention, also isn't too crowded?  ;->

(I need a nap.)