[friday-follies] Candidate brunch places from Yelp (gluten-free)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 24 16:13:39 PDT 2016

This group's go-to lunch place, the El Torito in Santa Clara, is no
more (closed and demolished), victim of real estate shenanigans.
(Nearest El Torrito restaurants are now Milpitas and Foster City.)

Michael, Alison, Deirdre, and I had a nice Sunday brunch today at
Jason's Cafe in Menlo Park as a last-minute substitute, but I also
researched some other candidates, late last night, as future options.
Below, I've expanded my comments from late last night.

Deirdre needs gluten-free options because she's celiac[1], so I started
with that constraint in going through Yelp reviews of restaurants
mentioned specifically on Yelp as good for lunch.  Comments below are
summaries of page 1 of the Yelp reviews, except where I say 'Rick's
review'.  Just to be super-clear, except where noted, I've _not_ yet
tried these places.

A good Friday Follies place isn't too crowded, has table service (no
standing in long lines), isn't too crowded, is accesible for the
mobility impaired, is quiet enough for conversation, and is moderately
priced.  I've tried to address those questions where reviews (or
personal knowledge) permit.

MOUNTAIN VIEW:

Bajis Cafe
2423 Old Middlefield Way, Mountain View
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bajis-cafe-mountain-view
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bajis-cafe-mountain-view?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Breakfast & Brunch
  This is Yelp's #1-rated brunch place in all of Mountain View, so it
  might be busy (and indeed some reviews say it's crowded on weekend
  mornings).  Classic diner that also has Mexican breakfast
  specialties.  Coffee is Peet's!

The Voya Restaurant
1390 Pear Ave Ste B (near Computer History Museum), Mountain View
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-voya-restaurant-mountain-view
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-voya-restaurant-mountain-view?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Latin American, Seafood, Tapas/Small Plates
  Despite the '$$' rating, comments say it's a bit on the pricey side
  (which you would expect for tapas).  Their specialty is said to be
  'seafood with a South American twist', which in this case is Peruvian.

Crepevine Restaurant
300 Castro St @ Dana Street, Mountain View
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crepevine-restaurant-mountain-view
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crepevine-restaurant-mountain-view?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - American (New), Breakfast & Brunch, Creperies
  Crepe joint (sweet and savoury varieties).
  A minus:  One reviewer says 'packed on a Sunday', and you stand in a long
  line to place your order, then you pay for it, then you find a table.
  They say it starts to get crowded at 9:30am.

Paul Martin's American Grill, 545 San Antonio Rd
Ste 31 (appears to be within the grounds of San Antonio Mall), Mountain View
http://www.yelp.com/biz/paul-martins-american-grill-mountain-view
http://www.yelp.com/biz/paul-martins-american-grill-mountain-view?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Seafood, American (Traditional)
  Obviously, meat's the main thing (chops, ribs, hanger steak, burgers, etc.).
  One review says they offer 'slightly elevated bar food' -- not to
  knock them, but to put it in context.  Apparently it's a slightly
  swanky bar and also a pretty good restaurant.  Spacious with outdoor & indoor
  table seating.

Los Charros Restaurant & Cantina
89 W El Camino Real, north of Grant/237, Mtn. Vw.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-charros-restaurant-and-cantina-mountain-view-2
Category:  $$ - Mexican, Breakfast & Brunch
  No specific mention of gluten-free in reviews, but c'mon, it's a Mexican
  restaurant.  Reviews say its high ceilings and live acoustics make it
  noisy when it gets busy.  Mariachi bands on weekends.

Cocina Central
2590 W El Camino Real, Ste 13, Mtn Vew (corner of the San Antonio Mall
complex where San Antonio Road intersects El Camino Real)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cocina-central-mountain-view
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cocina-central-mountain-view?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Mexican, Bars, Breakfast & Brunch
  Seating includes a nice outdoor patio.  Presses its own corn
  tortillas, always a good sign.  Comments say parking in the shopping
  complex is sometimes tough.  Some comments say it's a bit pricey for
  the portions you get ('unless you come on Taco Tuesday').  Carnitas
  here is particularly praised.

La Fiesta Restaurant
240 Villa St, Mountain View
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-fiesta-restaurant-mountain-view-2
Category:  $$ - Mexican, Bars
  Rick's review:  We've been here.  It's a good, standard Mexican place,
  right in downtown near Castro Street.

LOS ALTOS:

I couldn't find any brunch places claimed to be friendly to people
needing gluten-free dining.  Surely there must be some, but I haven't
found them yet.

SUNNYVALE:

K’s Crêpes & Café
126 E Fremont Ave @ Sunnyvale-Saratoga Road, Sunnyvale
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ks-crêpes-and-café-sunnyvale-2?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Creperies, Breakfast & Brunch, Cafes
   Crepe joint.  You order at the front, they bring it to the table.
   As usual, does both sweet and savoury crepes.  Located in a strip
   mall.

PALO ALTO:

La Boheme
415 S California Ave nr El Camino Real, Palo Alto
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-boheme-palo-alto-2
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-boheme-palo-alto-2?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - French
  Bad acoustics; loud.  Casual bistro ambience and uncrowded.
  Food in general gets really high marks from reviewers.
  Nobody complains about the pricing but apparently it's deemed
  'moderate' ($$) by the standards of French restaurants, not, say,
  Mexican ones.  Seems like it's country French, not haut cuisine.
  Local note:  On Sundays, there's a farmer's market for three blocks
  in the middle of California Ave., so this is probably a better bet
  for Saturdays than for Sundays.

Joanie’s Café
405 S California Ave, near El Camino Real, Palo Alto
http://www.yelp.com/biz/joanies-café-palo-alto-2
http://www.yelp.com/biz/joanies-café-palo-alto-2?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Breakfast & Brunch, Traditional American, Coffee & Tea
  Eclectic breakfast/lunch offerings, all of which seem reviewed well.
  Indoor and outdoor seating.  College vibe.
  Local note:  On Sundays, there's a farmer's market for three blocks
  in the middle of California Ave., so this is probably a better bet
  for Saturdays than for Sundays.

Palo Alto Breakfast House
2706 Middlefield Rd, Palo Alto
http://www.yelp.com/biz/palo-alto-breakfast-house-palo-alto
Category:  $$ - Traditional American, Breakfast & Brunch
  Rick's review:  We've (Rick, Deirdre, and Cheryl) been to this place.
  Busy and a bit crowded and cramped, but excellent standard breakfast
  offerings.

Bistro Maxine
548 Ramona St, south of University Ave., Palo Alto (downtown)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bistro-maxine-palo-alto
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bistro-maxine-palo-alto?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Creperies, Breakfast & Brunch, Cafes
  Crepes and other bistro specialties.  Parking is a bit tight
  around here.  Indoor and outdoor seating.  Coffee is claimed to
  to be good.

Crepevine
367 University Ave. nr Waverley St., Palo Alto (downtown)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crepevine-palo-alto
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crepevine-palo-alto?q=gluten
Category:  $$ - Breakfast & Brunch, Creperies, American (New)
  Reviewer says there's a wait as with other downtown Palo Alto
  restaurants on the weekend.  First you stand in a line to place
  your order, then you pay for it, then you find a table.  Said to
  be reasonably priced for what you get at brunch, and huge portions.
  Large dining space, relatively quiet.

MENLO PARK:

Jason's Cafe
1246 El Camino Real near Oak Grove Ave., Menlo Park (downtown)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jasons-cafe-menlo-park
Category: $$ American (Traditional), Breakfast & Brunch
  Rick's review:  My family's local go-to place for breakfast or brunch.
  Expanded and rebuilt A&W building, busy but there's always a table, fresh
  food and generous portions, friendly staff, good prices.  Don't
  order their coffee unless you have low coffee standards, as it's bad.
  Smart locals come here instead of Stacks.  On Sundays, arrive by 10:30
  to beat the after-church rush.

Mama Coco Cocina Mexicana
1081 El Camino Real near Santa Cruz Avenue, Menlo Park (downtown)
Category: $$ - Mexican
  CLOSED SUNDAY.  Opens 10am on Saturday.  Rick's review:  Delightful family
  Mexican place opened in 2014.  Very reasonable priced, everything very fresh
  and super-tasty.  Enclosed rear patio seating in addition to indoor tables.
  Friendly, personal service.

[1] For that purpose, restaurants' self-ratings as being good for
'gluten-free' are very often misleading, because any salad or vegetarian
dish is by definition gluten-free but nonetheless bad for celiacs,
because cellulose is difficult for them to digest.  Instead, one must
attentively read customer comments.