[dvlug] dvlug list

Michael Paoli michael.paoli at berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 6 16:45:21 PDT 2024

[Yeah, don't post to both lists if you're not subscribed to both]

Ah, things get "interesting".  ;-)

Hopefully the, uhm ... bifurcated situation gets "all better".
Yay, at least the "new" list "subscribe" page is updated:
https://www.dvlug.org/email/
Thanks Grant - at least that seems to work!
I wonder how long it wasn't working with the form web page,
where the page gave no indications it wasn't working ...
well, other than one never got any emails from the list.

Oh, and looks like "new" is sans archives, so ... anyone, e.g. new to
the "new" list (or DVLUG) won't even be able to check via list archives
what DVLUG has been up to.
https://www.dvlug.org/podcast/
Used to get pretty nicely and regularly updated (yes, I'm sure
that also took someone(s) fair bit of work to do so), but with
that not so updated more recently, rather difficult to tell
from online if DVLUG is still active, or how active or not.
"Enquiring minds want to know" ;-)
Alas, I don't think the National Enquierer will regularly
carry current updated information about the status of
DVLUG ... nor does one tend to find lists of [L]UGs
in the back of computer magazines and newspapers
these days either.

Hmm, ... maybe if https://www.dvlug.org/email/ at least
automagically updated to give some indications of
list activity (but yeah, someone would need code
that or whatever), e.g. count of list postings for
current and past month (and indicator of month and
year, so it's clear it's not some stuck relic).

And, uhm, well, can't always tell LUG (in)activity
by it's list(s) ... DVLUG ... As far as I can tell,
I've not received anything from the "new" list since 2021-11-15.

Also, it's generally suggested to have some type of test
list present on list server(s).  That way folks can, e.g.
o test basic/general functionality of list server (e.g. is it alive
and functioning)
o keep such test traffic off the main list(s), which may be mostly
  uninteresting and/or unwanted for those on the other list(s).

And sure, one can do LUG list(s) without archives,
but that's rather atypical.

And thought I'd mention again, if there might be interest,
potential other list hosting possibilities ... well, mentioned some
of that on my earlier - see relevant parts on:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/dvlug/2024q2/000683.html
And by the way, actively testing Mailman 3 at present (so
far looking at least "reasonable enough", and does have some
pretty spiffy features too).  If curious and/or want to try it out,
have a peek here:
https://lists.balug.org/mailman3/
or subscribe by sending email to:
balug-test3-subscribe at lists.balug.org
or get some more information by sending email with
subject or body of:
help
to: balug-test3-request at lists.balug.org
See also:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:mailman3
for more information on my (Mailman 2 -->) Mailman 3 project

Ah well, LUG(s) ... always stuff to do and improve  :-)
Yes, always easier to dispense advice, than follow it.
Ah, if only I followed all my own advice.  ;-)