[dvlug] Wondering if these meetings still happen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 2 20:58:52 PDT 2024

Quoting Diablo Valley Linux User Group (dvlug at linuxmafia.com):

> Hi,
> I'd love to start up dvlug meetings. I went there one friday and didn't see
> anybody but maybe it's a new group of people. If people are still
> interested in meeting up I'd be more then happy to show up at La Scala
> every other friday and get the meetings going again.
>
> Is Grant still on this list or in the area? I moved out of the area for a
> few years, but now I'm back in the same place and would love to reconnect
> even though I didn't usually go that often?

Hey, apologies for the really weirdly formatted way that went out.
That should not happen again.

I'm the listadmin, Rick Moen, owner/operator of the (my) linuxmafia.com
server.  I live in West Menlo Park, bottom end of San Mateo County, thus
_really_ far from Walnut Creek.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind replying in order to have your name and e-mail
address in the mailing list archive and sent out to mailing list
members.  I should explain the weirdness before this post:

At the end of February (IIRC) there was a sudden crisis for this and
many other mailing lists owing to a rather badly drafted SMTP
antiforgery method getting militantly deployed about then by numerous
sending domains, with very adverse consequences for mailing lists that
I'd rather not digress into, here.  Because of a consequent bad event
on a _different_ linuxmafia.com list, Skeptic, I enabled Mailman's
"anonymous list" mode, described as "Hide the sender of a message,
replacing it with the list address (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To
fields", on all linuxmafia.com mailing lists, including this one.

Later, I realised that only Skeptic was likely to need that, so I
reverted that kludge, but forgot to do so for DVLUG's list.  (I have now
done do.)

I don't know the answer to your questions, but just applaud your effort.
Sadly, I ceased having a regular reason to visit Central Contra Costa
County when Mom (who lived in Moraga) died in 2011.  It'd be possible
for me to make special trips, but, well, it's rather a ways to go.

--
Cheers,                              "I would unite with anybody to do right,
Rick Moen                            and with nobody to do wrong."