[dvlug] dvlug.org reboot

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 15 01:21:42 PST 2021

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [dvlug] dvlug.org reboot
> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 00:41:30 -0800

> Quoting Grant Bowman (grant at dvlug.org):
>
>> I've finalized the move to list at dvlug.org so please use only the new
>> address.

Uhm, ... for some definitions of finalized and move?

I know in past, I've found it quite ambiguous as to which list
is the "real" DVLUG list.  Notably as things weren't highly
clear on the web site, and/or there was never proper notification
to the "other" list.  So, to cover the bases, I'd, e.g. use/email
both, and be subscribed to both.

Well ... this most recent "announcement",
the one from linuxmafia.com hit my inbox,
the other ... I didn't see it ... went digging, it got
flagged as spam ... well, stuff happens, whatever.

Then I'm like, okay, DVLUG's been around quite a number of years.
Let's see if this "new"/reboot list has the list archives.
So ... I go find that and ... a grand total of 4 emails there,
for ... how many years of DVLUG's existence?

So ... certain definitions of "finalized" and "move" ...
like bye-bye history?

So, ... someone just discovers a LUG, say DVLUG,
want to see what it's up too, how active, what it's done ...
look over website, see what's updated, find list,
look over list, archives, all goes to ... uhm, 4 emails
in the entire archive?  And it's not like it's announcing some
brand new LUG that just came into existence.  Yeah, from
the archives would seem more like a wanna be LUG.
Lots 'o meetings past, podcasts/recordings, much etc.,
where's anybody gonna see that if they start off
around dvlug.org and get pointed off to the list at dvlug.org list
and go look at its archives?

And, thinking of which, this thrilling "new" (retread) list
and move ... can it be backed up, can its archvies be backed up,
can that be done in a useful form where they can be restored or
migrated.  Have they even been backed up?

I know there's been fair bit 'o traffic on that
non-linuxmafia.com DVLUG list ... so, where's the backups of
all the archives of all the email ever on that list?

I know if I search I can find email sent to list at dvlug.org
going way back ... many emails ... but does DVLUG have that and
other emails to that list somewhere?  The archive seems to only show
4 emails ... well, now I see 5.
Seems something's rather missing, eh?