[dvlug] dvlug.org reboot

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 15 00:41:30 PST 2021

Quoting Grant Bowman (grant at dvlug.org):

> FYI Ian, Don, Michael, Rick and all 37 other Diablo Valley Linux Users
> Group subscribers!

Grant, it's fantastic that you're reactivating the DVLUG meetings at
Cafe La Scala, now that the pandemic is abating.  Thank you!

At the same time, I wish to point out a huge problem:

> I've finalized the move to list at dvlug.org so please use only the new
> address.

No, you really _have not_.

"email.dvlug.org" is a DNS alias for mailgun.org, which is yet another
outsourced "free" e-mail service, similar to Yahoo Mail, Gmail, etc.
So, basically, you have, as usual, set up no infrastructure whatsoever
for DVLUG.  None.  All you have is outsourcing.

What is Linux best at?  It's best at Internet infrastructure.  You
don't bother to even try to have DVLUG bother to do what Linux is good
for.

You haven't "finalized the move to list at dvlug.org".  You haven't
actually set up anything.  You've just signed up with yet another bunch
of third-party pirates, for something the community should be doing.

I will continue to host a DVLUG mailing list, for lots of reasons
including the here-today-gone-tomorrow nature of outsourced offerings.
Yours is, what, the third or fourth such abortive outsourcing effort?