[dvlug] Gnome Desktop folder on NFS

Dylan Reinhold dylan at ocnetworking.com
Mon Nov 22 23:18:02 PST 2010

Thanks Grant,
   I wrote a quick hack to do what I want for now. I will look into the
real solution when I get some time.

For now, I have a program on the NFS server that watches the Desktop
directory for changes (using kqueue on a BSD box). Once a change is made
it creates a trigger file in another nfs folder.
The clients have scripts watching for that file, once they see the file
they *restart* Nautilus (yes it's a big hammer) but it works.

Few things I found, you can just press [F5] and the desktop will refresh.
Also
 > gconftool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop --type
boolean false
 > gconftool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop --type
boolean true
Will update the desktop, I cant get that to run from cron, just from the
terminal.

Dylan