[dvlug] Need for Technical Assistance - Error problem connecting MYSQL to HTTP

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 2 15:13:25 PST 2010

Quoting harry strout (harry-strout at comcast.net):

> Hello to all.
>
> Happy new year to all.
>
> I have a question to ask. Perhaps someone can help me.
>
> I received this error message on a CentOS Linux computer after
> installing apache, mysql, and php:
>
> Cannot connect to mysql (Unknown MySQL server host 'http' (1))

You don't say where you 'received' that error.  Maybe a Web page that
you were expecting to reach through the PHP interpreter to PHP's MySQL
access libraries and thus eventually to your local MySQL instance?

I suspect you're trying to throw together a LAMP server from distro
packages, and have a lot of testing and configuration ahead of you.
Also, you may not even have all the pieces you need installed, leaving
configuration aside for a moment.  For example, you say you have "PHP"
installed, but does that even include the PHP MySQL access libraries?
Many distros put those in a separate package.

Suggest you start by attempting to verify that the MySQL database is up
and running by doing this sort of thing:

$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 14495
Server version: 5.0.51-3 (Debian)

mysql> use mysql;

Database changed
mysql> show tables;
+---------------------------+
| Tables_in_mysql           |
+---------------------------+
| columns_priv              |
| db                        |
| func                      |
| help_category             |
| help_keyword              |
| help_relation             |
| help_topic                |
| host                      |
| proc                      |
| procs_priv                |
| tables_priv               |
| time_zone                 |
| time_zone_leap_second     |
| time_zone_name            |
| time_zone_transition      |
| time_zone_transition_type |
| user                      |
17 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

Here are some further suggestions about where to go after that.
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_intro.html

And yes, it's really frustrating working your way through LAMP setup
problems, especially if you've not had to wrestle SQL databases into
submission before.