[dvlug] Fwd: Please forward to all members, if not done already

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 14 13:44:40 PST 2009

Quoting Michael Paric (mparic at compbizsolutions.com):

> You're of course welcome to join us tonight (Friday) at Cafe La
> Scala, 1655 North Main Street, Walnut Creek starting at 6PM to discuss :)

Just a possible tweak to directions-giving that people might consider
adopting:  I personally tend to say "1655 N. Main Street nr. Civic
Drive, Walnut Creek".

What location data are most useful depends on what tools you're using
and how your mind works.  I've always found the latter point
fascinating:  One group of people thrive on explicit turn-by-turn directions;
another group are map people who find turn-by-turn directions useless.
The first bunch want to be told only the end-destination and want to
figure out the route for themselves.  The second bunch just don't think
that way.  And of course many others match neither extreme.

Anyway, adding a nearby cross-street makes an address given in
directions much more useful, in my experience.

(The cross-street's superfluous to readers using online mapping
services, but certainly doesn't hurt.)