[dvlug] On running servers on the Internet, in general

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 9 00:49:31 PDT 2009

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):

> I noticed the typo and guessed you meant 93 and not 83.

Yes, as I like to explain, I'm a fast typist who posts a lot of mail,
and uses a variety of mostly sucky keyboards.

Anyway, you tell me:  Am I really such a freak for saying, in effect,
"Guys, first start with any old machine on any old continuous Internet
connection no matter how sucky, as long as it has a static IP address"?
Do none of you guys do that?  Not even that?

The big ISPs, not to mention the copyright barons, really prefer that we
all have nothing but transient Internet presences and nothing but
dynamic IP assignments.  It's more convenient for them, and then we
become technopeasants with no independent ability to run our own
services.  We turn into technology sharecroppers.

Without a static IP allocated to you (or to a friend), you have no
independent Internet existence; you're a guest of someone else.  I don't
like just being a passenger.  I like the ability to drive.  Internet
presence and computing autonomy are what Linux is good for, and that's
what I do.