[conspire] Home Servers

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Mar 22 10:27:31 PDT 2024

On 3/21/24 12:19, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On 20Mar2024 10:45am (-0700), Rick Moen wrote:
>> Don Marti says separately mentions an intriguing Framework Laptop
>> conversion kit revolves around a motherboard with a AMD Ryzen
>> 7040-series CPU/GPU chip, which I was prepared to dismiss as
>> stupendously overblown for a home server.  As it turns out, the TDP* is
>> 35-54W, which is... not actually horrible.  _But_, still needs active
>> cooling.
>
> I have a framework 13 with the previous generation of Intel motherboard.  If I upgrade to the lower-power AMD board, I'll need to get new RAM, so the board in this thing will probably become a closet server of some variety.
>
> But the need for fans is even higher on this thing.  I have it throttled to an inch of its life, and it still gets warmer than I want.  That's why I covet the Ryzen upgrade, although I'm unemployed at present and don't have the budget to justify such a purchase.

On the new Framework 16 it looks like the mainboard (with heat pipes) is
a separate module from the fans. You need fans if you want to run a
35-54W board in a laptop with a reasonable weight, but if you're
building a media server PC that you put on your stereo rack once and
never move, a big heavy aluminum case with heat sink fins and no fan is
more badass than a sheet metal case with a fan.