[conspire] Home Servers

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Mar 22 09:12:42 PDT 2024

Rick Moen said on Wed, 20 Mar 2024 10:45:37 -0700

>Don Marti says separately mentions an intriguing Framework Laptop
>conversion kit revolves around a motherboard with a AMD Ryzen
>7040-series CPU/GPU chip, which I was prepared to dismiss as
>stupendously overblown for a home server.  As it turns out, the TDP* is
>35-54W, which is... not actually horrible.  _But_, still needs active
>cooling.

Unless you have a ginormous heat sink with a square foot of fins, in
which case it wouldn't need active cooling. It would be kind of
Macgyver thing, but it can be done. Remember those old 200 watt per
channel class A/B amps? They didn't need fans because they had ample
heat sinks, many times with the fins external to the unit.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21