[conspire] Flashing twelves

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 20 00:04:48 PDT 2024

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
> On 3/19/24 11:12 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> >Point is, an "Android + iPhone API" is not required.  HTTP 1.1 + HTML
> >3.2 works just great.
>
> once you've a web server on your device you're so so so near to
> exposing your appliance to the net and accessing it through a
> webview in an app that manufacturers will sabotage the "web server
> in the appliance" and sell the cloud + app as a feature.

If, hypothetically, the appliance had _only_ NFC (e.g., Bluetooth)
as its path to the admin WebUI, is that really near to exposing it to
the Net / the outside world?  I'm honestly not very sure.

Naturally it would be _possible_ through dumb user tricks to route
_through_ a PeeCee to the Internet uplink.  On spur-of-the-moment
pondering, that doesn't seem like something that would happen
accidentally, i.e., it would require a determinedly inventive dumb user.

Anyway, I never thought this whole concept was likely in a large-scale
commercial setting, just that it might be feasible -- and provides a
reasonably clever escape to the "physical switches are puzzling because
of being overloaded with too many modal functions" syndrome.  As it does
for my OpenSprinkler Arduino-based watering controller.