[conspire] Flashing twelves (was: Twitter successors)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Mar 14 18:13:36 PDT 2024

Les Faby writes:
> The cheapest interface is the owner's smart phone running a simple app. You
> have got a bigger touch screen, etc

Cheapest for whom? The company, who now has to hire an app developer to develop both Android and IOS apps? Or the customer, who now has to have a smartphone in addition to the device being controlled? (Sure, YOU do, and so do I, but not everybody does.)

Besides, I hate devices that have to be controlled via smartphone, because:

Les Faby writes:
> Basic buttons should be physical and therefore a simplified interface. Non
> everyday functions should be via smartphone. Use Bluetooth or USB or NFC to
> connect. Short range, not on Internet.

Ugh. And then I can stand there in the kitchen turning my bluetooth on, off, on, off, on again, check pairing, yes it sees the microwave, why aren't they talking? Just like I have to do every time I want to play audio in the car, or unlock it using the manufacturer's app. No thanks. I guess some people must find Bluetooth reliable and easy to use, but that sure hasn't been my experience.

        ...Akkana