[conspire] Twitter successors

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Mar 10 07:52:50 PDT 2024

On 3/9/24 16:42, The Doctor wrote:

> I have an observation about the behavior of birbsite prior to bailing on it about two
> years back: It was extremely uncommon to see posts from anyone I deliberately followed
> there.  Loading Twitter on an average day, just about everything I saw was not from
> someone I followed but was pushed into my feed by their engagement algorithm from
> accounts I did not.  This resulted in absolutely nothing good for one's mental health,
> and a great deal of stuff not worth a fried IC.  I was able to work around it for a
> time by building a bot that polled the (still active) accounts of the folks I wanted to
> follow and mailing me periodic digests, but once Musk took control even that became useless.

https://techmeme.com/ is still working even though most of the RSS
gateways aren't.  If you used Twitter to see the links that are "making
the rounds" then aggregators like Techmeme might work.

What I'm wondering now is how long until "twitter" becomes a generic
word, now that the company isn't using the trademark any more. Then
instead of awkward words like microblog or Fediverse we can just have
"the twitters" with a lowercase t.

(Twitter was a short-term centralized solution to blog comment spam kind
of like how slashdot.org was a short-term centralized solution to Usenet
spam. It seems like people started using Twitter because blog comments
were a pain -- full or spam, or you didn't know if your comment would
work because anti-spam, or the blogger had turned off comments entirely
to save spam-fighting time.)

Anyway, I'm team Fediverse now... @dmarti at federate.social