[conspire] Twitter successors

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Sat Mar 9 16:42:05 PST 2024

On Saturday, March 9th, 2024 at 09:53, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Almost all these walled gardens turn into bitchfests, black holes of
> hate, political partitions, and falsehood fortresses. Twitter became
> garbage long before Musk bought them. Facebook has been a cesspool for
> over a decade.

I have an observation about the behavior of birbsite prior to bailing on it about two
years back: It was extremely uncommon to see posts from anyone I deliberately followed
there.  Loading Twitter on an average day, just about everything I saw was not from
someone I followed but was pushed into my feed by their engagement algorithm from
accounts I did not.  This resulted in absolutely nothing good for one's mental health,
and a great deal of stuff not worth a fried IC.  I was able to work around it for a
time by building a bot that polled the (still active) accounts of the folks I wanted to
follow and mailing me periodic digests, but once Musk took control even that became useless.

This is to say nothing of discovering that I suddenly was following Elon Musk there (where
I had not been before), unfollowed that account, discovered the next day that I was suddenly
following it again, blocked it, and found that it was unblocked and in my list of followed
accounts once more.  Perhaps coincidence, perhaps a bug, perhaps enemy actions; I don't
particuarly care, save that something I once found useful was not anymore.

The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415/510]
WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/
Don't be mean. You don't have to be mean.