[conspire] Twitter successors

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 8 18:40:25 PST 2024

Meet Malcolm Nance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Nance
https://substack.com/@malcolmnance
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance
https://www.facebook.com/MalcolmNance

I reached out to Mr. Nance for two reasons.  One, as I mention to him,
he's the final person still on Twitter that I bother to pay any
attention to.  Two, as I didn't get into, Elmo (Elon Musk) finally
managed to kill all of the world's Nitter proxies:
https://github.com/zedeus/nitter/issues/1155#issuecomment-1914003395

Until yesterday, I'd happily used one or another Nitter proxy
to follow a couple of Twitter users without ads, without surveillance,
without Javascript, and without money to Elmo.  But Elmo cannot permit
_any_ third-party access to Twitter, even killing off the firm's own
mobile client, so the guest-account API that Nitter relied upon got
garroted in late January.

For now, I'm putting up with Twitter's dismal WebUI just to keep a tab
open to Nance's tweets, but if I can help him move somewhere better,
I can fully kiss off Xitter with no regrets.  (Or, of course, Elmo may
do corporate level flight into terrain, first.)

(PostNews?  Threads?  TikTok?  Facebook?  Instagram?
Don't make me point to the sign.
https://www.jwz.org/blog/2023/11/mastoversary/ )