[conspire] (forw) Re: [skeptic] ISP co.site is so far too clueless to understand the trouble report

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 7 14:15:43 PST 2024

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 14:14:48 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: skeptic at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: [skeptic] ISP co.site is so far too clueless to understand the
	trouble report

Paul W. Harrison wrote:

> Just to let you know in the meantime that the section you wrote
> starting "Paul, please tell..." and ending with "It's broken" is
> precisely that part of your message that I brought to their attention.
>
> It seems they didn't grasp what you wanted to tell them.

Not entirely surprising.  Disappointing, but common.

Queries from retail customers are by definition handled by helpdesk
staff, who for cost-control reasons tend to _very_ heavily rely
on canned answers sent out by low-wage staffers, often outsourced to
a low-wage country such as India.  ("Mayank" is a Hindi given name
meaning "moon".)  In fairness, queries by customers generally are fully
satisified by rote repetition of standard answers.

In this case, the answer seems to have been hand-written by a helpdesk
staffer, allegedly in consultation with "the backend team".  The latter
are _supposed_ to know what the hell they're doing, and ought to include
at least one DNS-knowledgeable person who understands how to use
the /usr/bin/dig utility to view public DNS records, and at least the
basics of how to interpret them.

In any event, obviously the information never reached someone competent,
so I can only suggest sending them my longer response, debunking the
oblivious nonsense spouted by Mayank, asking to _please escalate_.

--
Cheers,                       "Stun settings are for people who can't commit."
Rick Moen                                       -- J. Michael Straczynski
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)

----- End forwarded message -----