[conspire] 1:2.1.29-1+deb10u5? Re: upgrade-in-place to Mailman 2.1.30 and want to test Mailman3?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 2 13:25:51 PST 2024

Quoting Michael Paoli (michael.paoli at berkeley.edu):

> The one key difference of relevance, at least that I can easily spot,
> between 2.1.29 and 2.1.30 is:
> there is now a dmarc_moderation_addresses
> list setting that can be used to apply dmarc_moderation_action to mail
> From: addresses listed or matching listed regexps. This can be used
> to modify mail to addresses that don't accept external mail From:
> themselves.

You know, it looks to me like 2.1.29 is a 95% solution to the problem,
so I'd be grateful to have the first while pondering whether 2.1.30 is
feasible -- or justifiable.  The fact that 2.1.29's the last
Debian-packaged version (in all likelihood) is a powerful argument
against venturing past that without a lot of careful thought.

I don't know of specific disadvantages to 2.1.30; I do know that it's in
production on major sites like listman.redhat.com.  (Naturally,
using RHAT packaging.)

Years ago, I looked into the change history of when Mailman 2.1.x
gradually improved the DMARC mitigation over several releases, but
don't have that work in front of me.  I'll try to find the time to
reacquire that knowledge.