[conspire] Gandi.net is my Jedi, now (was: Customer wants to give your firm money; support won't allow me)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 2 21:54:29 PDT 2024

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> It's a sad fact of life that too many companies are taken over by bean
> counters that think they can "improve" things by cutting costs and
> ignoring customers.   They don't seem to realize that they will drive
> customers away and have less business in the long run.

As someone who passed the CPA exam, I mildly protest.  ;->

CentralNic Group PLC (the clowns who bought out my NZ-based registrar,
laid everyone off, and ruined it) are, it seems to me, a particular
_type_ of badness.  Consider:

Everything about the revised operation pushes domain owners towards:

"We have your credit card.  Your account is set to autorenew.  About
30 days before your domain would expire, our automation is going to grab
money from your credit card.  You can't do it differently or at any
other time.  We try to lull you into not doing it a different way.
You can't get anything but canned answers from outsourced helpdesk
staff in some impoverished country who don't know anything and cannot
help you.  We try hard to make sure nobody else here can even hear from
you.  Shut up, stop thinking, accept our canned offerings, and let our
scripts periodically grab your money.

Oh, and we'll try to upsell you for extra services, which naturally will
default to autorenew -- because what we're siphoning from you isn't
enough.  We want more."

And, thing is:  Most customers don't know enough to see what that
utterly fails to be a competent registrar.  Moen's Law of Bicycles at
work.  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-bicycles

--
Cheers,                          "Mastodon: owned by nobody and/or everybody!
Rick Moen                        Seize the memes of production!"  -- jwz