[conspire] AT&T and CPUC

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 23 19:37:52 PST 2024

Ron / BCLUG said on Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:15:55 -0800

>paulz at ieee.org wrote on 2024-01-23 09:51:
>
>> I usually use the landline at home, because cell service is
>> especially on rainy days when I don't want to go out to make a call.
>>

>A mobile phone that supports WiFi calling is great for living in dead
>zones of coverage.
>
>Bonus - the phone works everywhere, not just at home.
>
>Everywhere including overseas when connected to WiFi - local calls to
>& from all the usual contacts back home. SMS works as usual.
>
>No long distance, all from the same number everyone knows already.

Ron, everything you say is true, but it doesn't address Rick Moen's
point that some folks can't use a cell phone because of no towers, no
Internet lines, etc. And it's not just rural people either. Here in
Orlando Florida, when a category 1 hurricane passes within 30 miles of
us, out electricity is out for three days. This means no wifi and I
presume no power to cell towers. Meanwhile, our landline, with its 75
DC volts provided by the phone company, continues to work as long as we
use an oldschool phone that needs no power source other than the 75
volts DC. In every hurricane, our landline is our guaranteed
communication out.

>With a decent plan, and a second hand phone, it can be really
>convenient and affordable.

As far as I know, in the US, your cell phone and your carrier are a
package deal, with absolutely no interoperability between mismatched
carrier/phone combinations. Those carriers aren't anxious to service
second hand phones.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21