[conspire] (forw) [BALUG-Admin] So, DMARC. A week ago.

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Feb 10 09:21:18 PST 2024

Rick Moen writes:
> The utterly absurd XML presentation (like, what is this?  1998 trendy

I know, right? Sheesh.

> And, good idea trying online DMARC report analysing Web sites.  I ought
> to try some, too -- if only so I can have greater confidence that I'm
> correctly interpreting these XML thingies when I read them raw.

I didn't find that it helped my understanding of what it was saying about my site vs. sites to which I sent email. It did flag linuxmafia as a possible threat. And I couldn't figure out why a DMARC report from Google for shallowsky would be saying anything about linuxmafia anyway; does that represent something Google is complaining about in a message sent from shallowsky to a mailing list on linuxmafia but ultimately landing in a Gmail user's inbox? Nothing I could find made that clear.

> FWIW, I enabled reporting of both the aggregate reports and the
> forensic/failure reports (as you saw in my initial post in which I
> crafted my DNS zonefile's newly-legitimate DMARC RR).

I guess I'll do that too, and I'll save those aggregates for a few days or weeks in case I find an explanation of what they mean, and if not, I'll turn them off.

I actually could turn on DKIM, because shallowsky no longer handles any mailing lists (the two smartlists the server handles are under another domain). But I resent it for the reasons you detailed so well in your other message (I really hate forced From munging), so I haven't so far.

        ...Akkana