[conspire] A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue Oct 17 14:48:50 PDT 2023

On Oct 17, 2023, at 1:31 PM, Syeed Ali <syeedali at syeedali.com> wrote:

> I might end up with a preference for Japanese knives for this reason.  I
> have some Japanese pens, and they are designed to be so well balanced
> that they rest on a finger at the exact marking in the center point
> where the cap connects.  I've noticed there's something of a beauty in
> some high end things which come from Japan.

The fundamental reason for this is that Japan has a tradition of giving heirloom gifts. They also traditionally had so little steel that knives (and swords) were the main use of steel. Houses were made without any nails or metal fasteners, using complex joinery to hold together. So their steel will be heirloom quality if it’s master-made or even apprentice-made.

Deirdre