[conspire] The disappearing scandal: Google Search

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Tue Oct 17 07:58:17 PDT 2023

Rick Moen wrote on 2023-10-16 16:40:

> Searching around (_not_ using Google Search, FWIW)

An alternative to Google / DDG / StartPage that's only recently come to
my attention, is Qwant (https://www.qwant.com/).

It may be that I'm late to the game and that search engine is old news
to everyone else, but I'm giving it a serious tryout and am quite pleased.

 > The search engine that doesn't know anything about you
 >
 > Developed and hosted in 🇫🇷 [France]

So, subject to GDPR (Euro privacy laws).

As I understand it, they don't just pass your search along to Bing /
Google / Yandex / etc. but have their own crawlers and indexing system.

Just noticing that their map search is eerily accurate to my location
(desktop PC, not mobile), although that's not unique to them.

How *do* geo-location by IP work to have such incredible accuracy, anyway?

rb