[conspire] A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Oct 15 12:46:37 PDT 2023

On Sun, Oct 15, 2023, at 11:26 AM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> I now have 4, 5, and 6 inch knives.  Razor sharp out of the package.
> I’ve used them several times and they they are still very sharp.
> They’re much more pleasant to use than serrated knives.   Looks like it
> will be a while before I need to use the honing steel.

Serrated knives have a specific purpose: breaking up things like crust. They also allow for a duller knife to accomplish the goal of a sharper knife.

Proper knife sharpening for the sharpest of knives is important, and then you start getting into the fun times that is Japanese water stones or Shapton Glass stones. (I have some of each, fwiw, though exactly where is a different matter.)

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Japanese-Water-Stones-W324.aspx

I don't know if camellia oil is recommended after sharpening knives used for food, but it is lovely for non-food sharp things for sure.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Camellia-Oil-Spray-Rust-Protection-P407.aspx

Deirdre