[conspire] I am the very model of a Scary Devil Monastery

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Nov 1 15:38:39 PDT 2023

On Wed, Nov 1, 2023, at 3:23 PM, Ron / BCLUG wrote:
> I personally have come to like this site even better:
>
> https://www.greatfrontend.com

Worthy endeavor if one's doing web programming in JS (which I am not).

My own specialty (Swift development, mostly on macOS) is far enough removed from what Elise might be starting on that I didn't list those specific ones.

But:
https://www.hackingwithswift.com is the gateway drug for most Swift developers. He keeps it reasonably updated (an immense amount of work) and provides clear examples.

My single favorite book on programming, though is _why's Poignant Guide for Ruby: http://poignant.guide - it's also the weirdest book on programming I've ever read.

"Most variables are rather temporary in nature. Some parts of your program are like little houses. You walk in and they have their own variables. In one house, you may have a dad that represents Archie, a traveling salesman and skeleton collector. In another house, dad could represent Peter, a lion tamer with a great love for flannel. Each house has its own meaning for dad."