[conspire] (OT) geopolitics

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 5 14:23:08 PDT 2023

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> In most crowds there are some incipient magas, klans, nazis, etc, and
> it's good to let them know there's a price to pay. I have no idea
> about this mailing list, but took the opportunity to make the guy look
> like an idiot, always assuming you're correct in implying that he
> votes for republicans.

The "price to pay" would thus be making the person look like an idiot?
I do wish you good luck with that, seriously -- but:

1.  Even the _incipient_ variety of MAGAs, Klansmen, Nazis, etc.
are already deep into projection (DARVO, etc.) and utterly
self-insulated against embarrassment -- and also blind to
inflicting of own-goals.  (There is also epistemic closure[1] at work.)

2.  Saying to a person (paraphrased) "You really look like the
monarch of fools among the land of fools, supporting, as you did, the
biggest expansion of antisemitism in US history, while being yourself
Jewish" would have worked sometime over the last eight years, if it ever
were going to work at all, irrespective of whether directed towards the
fool in question, or towards incipient fools standing idly around.

3.  Frankly. they already look like idiots.

[1] Right-libertarian Julian Sanchez invented this useful term,
referring to the extreme form of confirmation bias, in a 2010 blog
posting.
http://www.juliansanchez.com/2010/03/26/frum-cocktail-parties-and-the-threat-of-doubt/