[conspire] (OT) geopolitics

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 2 19:34:49 PDT 2023

Eek, hate it when I do this.  Sorry, edit error.

> 2.  Total dependence on imported food and fuel, the latter needed for
> fertiliser and agricultural fuel without which _domestic_ food
> production doesn't work.  And all those are under near-term threat of
> lasting shortages.  Note that most agriculture in China is _heavily_
> dependent on artificial fertiliser and pesticides, which requires
> foreign oil being shipped in.  China is the largest producer of _every_
                                                      ^^^^^^^^ importer
> type of energy product[...]

While I'm at it:

> For reasons mentioned upthread, China's much-vaunted navy doesn't really
> have the ability to project force more than about 500 miles away from
> China's coast and harbours.

Before someone dredges the fact out, yes, I'm aware that China has
signed a number of deals to give them long-term presences in places like
Sri Lanka's Hambantota International Port, leased to HK-based China
Merchants Port Holdings Company Limited for 99 years (as part of the
"21st Century Maritime Silk Road" initiative, along with other leased
ports[1]).

Holding offshore rights to commercial ports is to be confused with
forward military basing or logistics for major conflict over shipping.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Century_Maritime_Silk_Road#Routes_and_key_ports