[conspire] Recipe exchange (was: CABAL (in-person + Jitsi Meet), Sat. Feb. 11, 2023)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Mar 8 06:11:48 PST 2023

Rick Moen said on Wed, 8 Mar 2023 01:12:21 -0800

>Quoting Syeed Ali (syeedali at syeedali.com):
>
>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 14:45:41 -0800
>> Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>>
>> > If you defeat the paywall (just disable Javascript for a moment)
>>
>> I LOLed.
>
>I swear, there are innumerable online forums where people repeatedly
>say "I can't get to the NY Times article because of the paywall" no
>how many times I say "disable Javascript, reload page, re-enable
>Javascript".  It's kind of sad.

I won't say too much as not to run afoul of the DMCA, but hearing you
say this I wonder if it might be as simple as putting the URL in a
text-only browser. If one has a brain, and most folks using Linux do,
then for news you're more interested in the text than any pictures. And
I wonder if reading the news without popups, and with many of the
advertisements showing up as the single word "advertisement", might
improve the news experience.

Maybe I'll try it.

SteveT

Steve Litt