[conspire] Hi

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 7 19:58:19 PST 2023

Quoting Syeed Ali (syeedali at syeedali.com):

> Hi Steve.  I always thought you and Rick were well acquainted and you
> already know about this list, as I met him at an after-meeting GoLUG and
> learned about it from him then.

I might not have promoted CABAL and its mailing list Conspire.  (Because
Janteloven.  Which, please see.)

Steve, CABAL's been around and in continuous operation since 1997, when
it got improvised as a social hack to permit Linux hobbyists continue to
use a meeting space in San Francisco, after San Francisco PC Users Group
flaked out on paying rent on it.  See:
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#cabal

In that sense, CABAL is the continuation under a new name of the SFpcUG
Linux SIG, founded about 1995 -- continued without SFpcUG involvement.  As
an independent group (initially under the umbrella of BALUG -- see FAQ),
CABAL was founded by my friends Duncan MacKinnon and Mike Higashi.

In July 2000, when CABAL lost that meeting space in San Francisco, I
offered the then-main leaders temporary (**cough**) meeting space at my
house in West Menlo Park, which is 35 miles south of San Francisco, on
the northwest edge of Silicon Valley.  The leaders gladly accepted, but
then ceased attending (typical "nothing south of Army Street exists" San
Franciscan thinking), and I de-facto inherited the group.  And thus,
here we are.