[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 9 15:49:15 PDT 2023

I wrote:

> The reason I tend to rag on the GNOME people and their Freedesktop.org
> partners in crime ;-> is that they suffer what Jamie W. Zawinski
> famously dubbed the CADT problem (Cascade of Attention-Deficit
> Teenagers).  JWZ wrote his sarcastic CADT essay in response to having
> filed patient, detailed bug reports against gnome-core and other GNOME
> codebases, had them ignored for a long time, and then saw them closed
> with "won't fix" on grounds that that software release was being EOLed
> and the developers refocussed their attention on gratuitously different
> replacement software.  https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

By the way, _the_ CADT is now a friend of mine.  I met Luis Villa at an
EFF event in San Francisco, and he's both a nice guy and a brilliant
lawyer and author.  He, however, was the GNOME volunteer who mass-closed
JWZ's bugs and prompted the famous CADT outburst.

Which Luis has written about, here:
https://lu.is/blog/2014/03/28/i-am-the-cadt-and-advice-on-needinfoing-old-bugs-en-masse/

Though Morten Welinder claims Luis misremembered:
http://blogs.gnome.org/mortenw/2014/03/29/no-i-am-the-cadt/