[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jul 7 00:20:28 PDT 2023

Rick Moen said on Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:30:04 -0700

>LXQt               Excellent and recommended
>XFCE4 (aka Xfce)   Pretty bloaty and glitchy, I wouldn't
>Cutefish
>Moksha Desktop     According to https://www.mailmanlists.net/, "A
>                   default install of Moksha will run in less than 100
>                   MB of RAM. I wouldn't call this lightweight.

>Yes, yes, yes, there are also others.  And before anyone mentions that
>LXDE is still alive:  I would disrecommend picking it in 2023, because
>the underlying graphics toolkits (gtk2 and gtk3) have been EOLed for
>quite a few years, and also were from GNOME developers who have proven
>to be hostile to anything non-GNOME -- which is why LXDE was orphaned
>and LXQt created to replace it.

Subjectively, I view LXDE as better than LXQt, and they've been
predicting its demise for almost a decade. When I go on the road I use
LXDE, until it's no longer offered, then LXQt.

>And yes, DEs are not necessary, either, and it's perfectly functional
>to just have a window manager and no DE.

I especially recommend Openbox. I've been using for over a decade and I
love it.

CTWM is almost as good as Openbox.

Windowmaker is very small and very pretty, but it's weird.

IceWM is a tiny but not maintained WM with a built in panel. Its
start-menu facilities are twitchy, so it's necessary to run things with
dmenu. But then again, dmenu makes an outstanding addition to any user
interface.

I've written about using dmenu:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/dmenu/bestpractices.htm

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/dmenu/index.htm