[conspire] no audio to headphone

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat Jul 8 15:11:13 PDT 2023

 I first met Rick at an Installfest about 20 years ago.  I seem to have not shared my background.
If you download this issue of the Hewlett Packard Journal you will see one of the projects I worked on.  I barely recognize the photo on page 9.  https://hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1983-05.pdf

This was among the first HP instruments to have an actual microprocessor.  Motorola 6800 all programmed in assembly.
This device was very popular with a certain "very large firm" because it generated signals up to 26 GHz.  That's still 10X the clock rate of common CPU's.
Another frequent CABAL attendee worked for the same un-named employer. When he was in Berlin, he said they used 26 GHz to track "bears".  Not the fuzy kind of bears.  Maybe he saw one of my products in his work place.
I was issued a UNIX workstation in 1985 and have had some kind of -ux machine ever since, but I won't claim to be an expert sysadmin.
    On Saturday, July 8, 2023 at 01:46:57 AM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> Sorry. I thought Paul Zander is an expert because he's on this list.

I don't want to diss Paul, who is a tech veteran and IEEE member (I
think?), but IMO both he and anyone else deserves a caution if a
suggestion amounts to radical distro rewriting.