[conspire] no audio to headphone

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Jul 7 15:57:28 PDT 2023

 To clarify.  If I am an "expert" in something is the ability to go along thinking something should be easy and stumbling upon some wierd problem.
My original post may also have been misleading because I tried to include a fair amount of detail so someone else could possibly reproduce it .   See: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.html

    On Friday, July 7, 2023 at 12:46:29 PM PDT, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

 Rick Moen said on Fri, 7 Jul 2023 01:10:07 -0700

>Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
>
>> I call Pulseaudio the land of a thousand mutes.
>>
>> I haven't used Ubuntu for a decade, but on most distros you can get
>> rid of Pulseaudio, install ALSA, and use alsamixer to control device
>> volumes.
>>
>> I think you can install apulse without installing Pulseaudio. apulse
>> gives Pulseaudio compatibility to many, but not all programs, just by
>> preceding the command with "apulse ".
>
>I'm no fan of Pulse Audio (or the various other Poetteringware pieces),
>but want to caution Paul Zander that trying to rip out or set aside
>Pulse Audio on the Pulse Audio-oriented Kubuntu distribution, and shim
>in ALSA (with or without apulse) to take its (Pulse Audio's) place
>would be radical system-architecture surgery, and IMO should not be
>attempted lightly.

Sorry. I thought Paul Zander is an expert because he's on this list.

You bring up an excellent point. What I suggested is fighting your
distro, and why do that? Concidentally, I just updated a
Troubleshooters.Com article on this very subject:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/avoid_complexity.htm

>Please be careful to caution people, especially those who are not
>expert user, if giving them radical-changes advice.

Yes.

SteveT

Steve Litt