[conspire] on Louis Rossmann & Grayjay

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu Dec 28 21:17:06 PST 2023

Steve Litt wrote on 2023-12-28 18:06:

> Syeed, I was just talking to my daughter yesterday about creating a
> youtube channel, so the preceding is interesting. Could you please post
> some citations supporting the  assertion that creators haven't been
> able to make a significant amount from ad rolls in a very long time.
> Are there exceptions?

Hi Steve,

I can't point to any specific links¹, but it's pretty widely known from
watching several channels (and discussed on Reddit) that the channels
make a pittance from ads inserted by YouTube, to the point that they
often encourage ad-blocking.

The rate per thousand views depends a lot on the target demographic.

As Syeed alluded to, a buck per thousand views isn't a bad estimate of
ad revenue.

Hence there are often credit rolls at the end listing top Patreon sponsors.

Also, channels have sponsored videos where the host will discuss the
sponsor's product in-video. Skip-able, but requires human intervention
and channel fans are less likely to skip since the channel host is
presenting.

There are browser add-ons that crowd source sponsored segments and skip
those too.

When LTT released their ratcheting screwdriver and sponsored another
large creator (MKHD, I think it's spelled?), the speculation on Reddit
was that would've cost upwards of $50,000 to sponsor the one video.

Serious money.

Similar numbers thrown about when discussing the scam selling fake
Scottish Titles: buy a square foot of Scottish land through sponsor
company, get automatic title of Baron or something.

Why did so many prominent channels continue accepting sponsorship from
scammers when it was exposed?  Tens of thousands of dollars.

Also, on YouTube there is no option for monetization until a certain
threshold has been crossed, X subscribers and an average of Y views per
video...

¹ Found a link: a 37 second video explaining online income per views by
Miki Rai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vQJCIJ5uA

Compares TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube *per month*:

TikTok: 20,000,000 views paid $185.52 == 108,000 views per dollar

Instagram: 18,000,000 views (on reels) paid $1,895.38 == 9,500 views /
dollar

YouTube: 31,100,000 views (7 long and 12 shorts - shorts totalled
29,000,000 views) paid $1,344.13 for shorts == 21000 views / dollar(?)

So, about $3500 / month (varies greatly month-to-month). Excluding
sponsorships.