[conspire] on Louis Rossmann & Grayjay

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Wed Dec 27 22:55:41 PST 2023

Syeed Ali wrote on 2023-12-27 19:29:

> Thanks for the reference, I'll have to check out that app eventually:
>
> https://grayjay.app/

That's it!

Just reading a bit more about it to refresh my memory and learn stuff
and... I can't see how this is going to work out long term.

 > YouTube removed his announcement video for that app

I shouldn't be surprised. I'm not a fan of YouTube's content creator
relations, but that's a no-brainer.

There's a Reddit thread I'm reading, people love the app, love that
there are no ads (content creators are not going to be happy), and there
are calls for SponsorBlock support.

Also, it's "source code available" but not open source, definitely not
FLOSS as there are restrictions on redistribution, etc.

I just cannot see this project being viable when the hosting platforms
are going to be quite angry, a lot of content creators are going to be
unhappy, and Grayjay is a for-profit company.

Napster / Limewire / The Pirate Bay were all taken down on commercial
copyright infringement if I recall correctly, and none of them hosted
copyrighted material.

That's what I see in the future for Grayjay.

I just don't see this ending well for those involved, and Louis might
make some powerful enemies, including YouTube creators.

rb