[conspire] On HP printers

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Mon Dec 11 01:44:30 PST 2023

Syeed Ali wrote on 2023-12-11 00:02:

> printers have gone downhill and Brother is the only less-crap printer
> company of significance these days.  Related:

Also related (I don't think there's overlap with the video):

 > HP printer app is installing on PCs whether they have
 > HP printers or not

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/hp-printer-app-is-installing-on-pcs-whether-they-have-hp-printers-or-not/
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/hp-printer-app-is-installing-on-pcs-whether-they-have-hp-printers-or-not/>

Microsoft does claim that this issue is *not* caused by HP though.

Also, recently read this article about DRM / region locking on printers
by Nathan Edwards:

https://www.theverge.com/23648726/hp-officejet-printer-region-how-to-change-why

I've gotta say, while it was painfully frustrating, it was so well
written that I enjoyed it very much, and laughed more than once.

Having said all that, I use Staples or library for my infrequent
printing requirements.