[conspire] International IT news and OSS history

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Sep 23 15:10:59 PDT 2022

In case you missed it...

Due to sanctions, #Russia is switching from Windows to #Linux. The
government wants to force domestic programmers to convert their
software. But there are doubts: Many systems will have to be rebuilt
from scratch, and there are few Linux experts around.

https://kommersant.ru/doc/5570730

Fortunately, rebuilding a software project from scratch is always hard,
especially on short notice. But, of course, people should take whatever
chances they get to frustrate the schemes of evil dictators.

I don't know if this is applicable to this situation, but for a while I
have been a little disappointed that the old OSS "Simple Sabotage
Manual" did not continue to receive updates and is still based on the
technologies of the mid-20th century. If you work in the motor pool or
as an electrician, a lot of that material is still good, but what about
software projects?

IMHO it would be a good idea to do a chapter on software.  I put down a
few tips -- any ideas?

https://github.com/dmarti/simple-sabotage-software