[conspire] Portable computers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 22 01:00:12 PDT 2022

Quoting Syeed Ali (syeedali at syeedali.com):

> TL;DR apparently they're not available in the states.  Sorry about the
> noise everyone.

No worries.  Could be sales regions, price discrimination, or fallout
from some international spat.  Apparently, there are some byzantine
complications.  https://ecomchill.com/aliexpress-usa-suppliers/

I see the correct pages if I VPN into Frankfurt, and then load them.
As long as I have my location set to Canada, I can see the page -- even
with pricing in US$.  But the moment I adjust my location to USA,
I get redirected ot "Sorry, the page you requested can not be found:("
and _not_ allowed to change my location back to Canada.

Yay for private browsing windows.  I just opened up a new one and tried
again.  This time staying in Canada!  (We stand on guard for thee.)

> These two micro computers are incredibly inexpensive.  I'm guessing it's
> because the seller is new and wants sales and reviews.  I've decided to
> hold back because I should be paying off debt from my old toys instead
> of buying new ones I can't justify actually using, but perhaps some of
> you would be interested.
>
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004770832162.html

GMOLO 7 inch Touch Screen Mini Laptop 2048 Original Handwriting Intel
J4125 Quad Core 8GB 512GB SSD Windows 10 Mobile Netbook
US $161.94 - 185.69

SSD:  8GB 128GB or
      8GB 256GB or
      8GB 512GB

Processor:  Intel Celeron

Free Shipping
>From Turkey to Canada via PTS_TR
Estimated delivery: 7-30 days

7inch Multi-points Touch Screen Windows 10 Mini Netbook Supporting
Original Handwriting

Main Features:
-. 7inch Multi-PointsTouch Screen, 5 points touch screen, 1024* 600
resolution
support 2048 Pressure Level original handwriting ( not electromagnetic
original handwriting)
-. Metal Cases, front and back metal cases
-. Intel Celeron J4125 Quad core processor. 2.0Ghz - 2.7Ghz
-. 8GB RAM
-. M.2 Fast SSD ( Solid State Disk), 512GB SSD Disk
-. Dual Bands Fast WiFi Wireless connection, 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz
-. 2.0MP HD Camera, Bluetooth built-in
-. Small Size and Slight Weight 0.65KG,
-. 7inch 1024 * 600 HD touch screen

Specifications:
Brand Name: None
Video Memory Capacity: 16GB
Display Size: 12.1"
Dimensions (WxHxD): 8
Origin: NZ(Origin)
Graphics Card Model: R9 290X
Screen Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Weight (Battery Included): <1.5Kg
CPU Brand/Model: i5-11260
HPort: Thunderbolt 4
Display Ratio: 10:09
Panel Type: TN
RAM: 48GB
Body Material: Aluminium
Thickness: 15mm- 18mm
Feature: Camera
Type: Laptop
Optical Drive Type: None
Average Battery Life(in hours): 3
Certification: CE
Operating System: Linux
Display resolution: 1024x600
Hard Drive Type: HDD
Hard Drive Capacity: 120GB
Package: Yes
Model Number: ML07
Weight: about 0.65KG

[snipping a lot more]

> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004770656560.html

Just a little on this one:

Free Shipping Cheap New GPD MicroPC Micro PC Pocket Laptop Computer
Notebook PC 6 Inch Small Size Windows 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
US $241.09

Processor: Intel Celeron

Free Shipping
>From Turkey to Canada via PTS_TR
Estimated delivery: 7-30 days

Overview
MicroPC is a handheld mini Laptop developed and designed by GPD company
for industry professionals and various mobile scenarios. It only weighs
440g which has many interfaces. It can perfectly replace traditional
notebooks for people that work in the communication, electric power,
exploration, mining, archaeology, education training, manufacturing,
service chain, call center, business services, public institutions,
government military and many more fields.

The Back Features of GPD MicroPC

1. Compatible for IT fields and more with its rugged exterior: Network
communication, electric power, exploration, mining, archaeology,
education training, manufacturing, service chain, call center, business
services, public institution, government military and many more.
Strong Performance with Ultra Low Power Consumption: Intel N4120
processor, four cores, four threads, and thermal design of 10W.
3. 256GB super capacity M.2 SSD for fast read and write speed
(read:576MB/s, write: 465MB/s), replaceable, and infinite capacity
expansion.
4. RJ45 interface for wired network access, and wireless Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G
dual bands and Bluetooth 4.2 for dual-channel max. transfer rate of
433Mbps
5. Built-in one RS-232 serial interface, widely used in industrial
control and automation.
6. Three USB 3.0 interfaces to maximize extended USB devices.
7. One full-featured Type C charging interface for audio, video and data
transmission.
8. One microSDXC slot for manual backup or migration of data in a
network-free environment.
9. Touchpad with left and right buttons, as well as all the left, middle
and right buttons on the left-side mouse, a familiar operation allowing
users to get started immediately.
10. QWERTY keyboard with a backlit design to meet the emergency needs at
night, or in no light or dim light.
11. Active cooling design and PC-level cooling solution.
12. Two copper nuts embedded on the back for fixation in various complex
environments.
13. Power indicator, dormancy indicator and RJ45 indicator to keep
abreast of the machine at any time.
14. ser-friendly lanyard hole, gifted with a lanyard that can carry 4kg.
15. It is much better than Microsoft Surface Go (8GB/256GB) in terms of
overall performance, but it is smaller and more lightweight. It weighs
only 440g and can be controlled by one hand.

> These might actually be worth buying just for the SSDs.

Maybe.  Personally, I'm pickier.  Like, I like to pick the make/model of
the SSD, because generic doesn't work too well.  Of course, yes, that
costs.