[conspire] Fw: [DNG] granting authorization for Devuan developers to use Debian trademark

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 25 00:17:45 PDT 2022

Quoting Syeed Ali (syeedali at syeedali.com):

> Forwarding for visibility.

OK, but please do not cross-post across multiple mailing lists.
Doing so creates a variety of problems, most particularly for the
administrators.  Accordingly, I have snipped your crosspost to
GolugTech.

> Holy..
>
> I have no idea what the impact is going to be, but.. I suspect this is
> significant.

Kind of _not_.

Daniel Pacock is an ex-Debian developer who had his committer
credentials revoked last November.  (I have insight into why.)
https://www.debian.org/News/2021/20211117.en.html

The gentleman is lately playing a nasty game in purporting to grant to
Devuan project trademark rights he very conclusively has no authority
over (and never did).  I believe the general term for the sort of thing
he's attempting is "Let's you and him fight", i.e., he is attempting to
create strife between the two projects.  By malicious lying.

Fortunately, I am confident that the Devuan Project principals see
through these shenanigans -- such that the extent of damage is limited
to wasting everyone's time.

Moral:  Don't believe what you read on the Internet without appropriate
amounts of evidence.  Sh*tposters, monkeywrenchers, and cray-cray people
abound.