[conspire] Meanwhile, in birdland (was: Anyone here looking for a s/w job?)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Nov 18 21:04:34 PST 2022

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022, at 8:15 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Looking from the perspective of _both_ of my professional backgrounds,
> _both_ accounting/finance and _also_ Internet technology / system
> administration & IT management, I've seen a mindbogglingly dumb
> display of incompetence and senseless destruction by someone who
> refuses to listen to experts and keeps finding new weapons to fire at
> his and everyone else's feet.

https://twitter.com/flammecast/status/1593516004822249472
Derek Troy says: "Before Space Karen took over, Twitter had 7500 working for it, it now allegedly has 238 (there's a blind app post from a verified user quoting that number) that's a reduction of 97%."

Reporter Zoë Schiffer (several tweets):

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593649356661436417
NEW: Email from Elon to the engineering team: "Anyone who can actually write software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today. Before doing so, please email me a bullet point summary of what your code commits have achieved in the past 6 months"

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593649533585543169
Elon Musk is also asking for up 10 screenshots of the "most salient lines of code" from Twitter engineers 2/

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593649713022005248
Again, no context as to what this is about. We know Twitter's engineering teams have been gutted by layoffs and resignations. What's next?

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593652897236934656
Yesterday, Twitter told employees the offices were closed and badge access was suspended until Monday. Employees are extremely confused.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593665774744350721
NEW: In an email for remote Twitter engineers, Elon Musk says he wants to speak to people on video ("only those who cannot physically get to Twitter HQ are excused") but "if possible, I would encourage you to fly to SF to present in person." He'll be at the office until midnight.

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593665914808856576
I am having a difficult time believing this is real and I am looking at the emails.

Also:

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593434684691603456
So far no Twitter employees have been deactivated — even those who’ve publicly resigned. Musk and his team only collected the list of “yes’s” — employees who said they want to be part of Twitter 2.0. They’re still trying to track who is out.

Anyhow, what a cluster.

Deirdre