[conspire] Meanwhile, in birdland (was: Anyone here looking for a s/w job?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 18 20:15:14 PST 2022

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 20:13:38 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: skeptic at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: [skeptic] Anyone here looking for a s/w job?

Quoting Laurie Forbes (laf3142 at gmail.com):

> We have entered bizarro world....

I cannot even keep up with the revelations about the ongoing
emuskulation operation.

Looking from the perspective of _both_ of my professional backgrounds,
_both_ accounting/finance and _also_ Internet technology / system
administration & IT management, I've seen a mindbogglingly dumb
display of incompetence and senseless destruction by someone who
refuses to listen to experts and keeps finding new weapons to fire at
his and everyone else's feet.

Nobody is quite certain whether Twitter can long survive now that
certain disasters are certain (e.g., some of the extremely avoidable
legal problems), some are not certain but likely (failing to do the next
payroll correctly and in a timely manner after literally 100% of the
_payroll staff_ quit en-masse yesterday), and some are highly probable
but a little uncertain (collapse under the annual highest system load of
the year, this Sunday's launch of the FIFA World Cup).

If I had to bet, I'd say that the massive cascading collapses will
become difficult to ignore on Sunday.  There are already signs of
dysfunction in the site and service that weren't there before.

Some of the teams' departures have been almost poetically ironic, such
as that of the entire Twitter Verified Blue team that designed and
rolled out that new Musk-demanded feature.  Some give nightmares to us
sysadmins, such as the mass-resignation of the entire System Reliability
Engineering staff.

No SREs.  Zero.  Tell that to anyone who's worked in technology at an
Internet company, and watch the convulsive shudder.

The amount of irreplaceable institutional knowledge that Twitter, Inc.
lost forever over the last few days, especially yesterday, is
staggering.

Something even non-IT people boggled at was _The Guardian's_ nonchalant
statement, a few days ago, that it had been unable to get any comment
from Twitter, Inc., because the corporation no longer has a
communications department.

Twitter, Inc.
no longer
has
communications department.
!?

And, wow, _now_ Space Karen[1] wants to learn about the "tech stack".

[headdesk]

[1] Deirdre forwards the alternate suggestion of Apartheid Clyde to give
the many meritorious and hard-working Karens a break.