[conspire] In case we were not already clear about was NextDoor, ?Inc. is

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 11 21:56:05 PST 2022

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> It seems that in practice, ND's policy seems to be to not stir up the
> natives.  Especially natives in a very high income zip codes.

Also of note, the ND reviewing mechanisms appear to trigger _only_
upon a user "flagging" the posting or comment.  Never, to my knowledge,
until then.

For at least some sorts of "flagging" category-of-reason-cited,
including alleged "racism & discrimination" against members of a
"protected and marginalized group", the very act of any random user
"flagging" something causes it to be immediately "hidden", which means
shown only to the author thereof.  This like _all_ of the
content-moderation structures I've found, is finely tuned to direct
as much involvement as possible away from actual NextDoor, Inc.
employees, and leave members to tussle with each other and leave
the employees alone.

Because, of course, we aren't customers.  The advertisers are.

If the author (such as me) objects to the "hidden" treatment and
considers it ridiculous, as I did, then the author can call up a
dialogue to state _why_ the flagging was in error -- and is told that
this additional material will be provided to a panel of "community
reviewers" (other members who've volunteered to look at flagged content
and vote about whether it violates ND Guidelines).

There is predictably no promises whatsoever about whether or when the
panel will examine the thing and vote -- and about half a day has
elapsed.  I'll wait.

And, if/when that plays out, if the community reviewers act foolishly,
I can and will escalate to corporate.  Also, I have screenshots, which
raises other possiblities, too.

As I know how this game of passive-aggressive sniping at what privileged
suburbanites dislike is played, I already circumvented the objector's
intent by _separtely_ addressing her (in a non-hidden comment) politely
questioning whether correctly identifying someone as resident of
America's richest town -- particularly doing so with zero commentary --
"discriminates" against anyone, especially against such a person as a
member of a "protected and marginalized group",

Athertonians being members of a "protected and marginalized group" is,
after all, the comedy gift that keeps on giving.  It's the funniest
thing I've read since that bit about in _The Grauniad_ about them not
being able to get a comment from Twitter, Inc. about the latest Musk
insanity because it "no longer has a Communications Team".