[conspire] election information?

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Nov 3 22:18:17 PDT 2022

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, at 9:39 PM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> Just between us, and anyone else who reads this email,  I plan to vote for
> #1  Reproductive rights

Good! :D

I'm a woman who's had two abortions, one of them life preserving (I was so sick, I was throwing up water).

So many potentially pregnant people are being denied medications like statins (heart), anti-seizure meds, migraine meds, autoimmune meds, and, if they ever figure this out, they'll also ban ibuprofen (as it's a mild abortifacent too). And then there are the tales of people being denied cancer treatment because they'd potentially get pregnant. It's horrifying.

The one that most horrified me was a woman who was denied graft vs. host disease meds (which are an abortifacent). If you have GvHD and you don't get those meds, *you die*. Horribly. From the inside out.

(One of my two immunology professors was a graft vs. host disease researcher.)

> #31 Flavored tobacco ban

I'm voting for that (to continue the existing ban).

> I'm not generally in favor of gambling.  The other propositions haven't
> given me a really good reason to support them.

The question I want answered is: if it's about Indian gaming, then why are 85% of the stated benefits benefitting white people? (prop 27) Seems sus[picious].

I'm voting no on 26 & 27.

29: hard no, fuck you DaVita (this is deliberately jerking around dialysis doctors, and we already don't have enough of them).

So here's the politics on it: Because of how dialysis is paid for, many people *who are not good candidates* are put on it, and the doctors have been pushing back. If you're not transplant eligible (or likely to be), it's far crueler (and more expensive) to keep people on dialysis indefinitely. Yes, they'd die, but they're already dead people walking. But DaVita makes mucho dinero from chronic dialysis patients, so they want to annoy the doctors.

Here's some of what I've learned from hanging out on r/nursing:

1. Many of them have *zero* intention or follow through on diet or even meds. They just come in for dialysis (or wind up in the ER if they skip). Some will not take their meds without (sugared) sodas. Which: WTAF?
2. Dialysis nursing is some of *the* most thankless kind, unfortunately.
3. Unfortunately because of labor shortages in other areas, people aren't getting transport to dialysis appts. :(

Some r/nursing threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/xmdvf4/the_1st_world_problems_of_some_of_our_patients/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/xr1h3j/honest_question_dialysis_clinics_where_do_nurses/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/vqi0eq/palliative_care_suggestions_for_esrd_pt_no_longer/

These two I still need to do more research on:

28: generally for

39: It's a start

Deirdre