[conspire] (forw) issue encountered during installation

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 29 23:44:08 PDT 2022

Sending so more folks look at this.  I've just clarified to David that the next
CABAL event will be July _9th_.

----- Forwarded message from David Chan <chandtw at pacbell.net> -----

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 21:42:43 -0700
From: David Chan <chandtw at pacbell.net>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: issue encountered during installation

Hi there -

I am not sure if I can make it in person next Saturday, is there still
virtual meeting option available?

Blind user that uses a screen review package called 'speakup' which is
usually in a kernel module but is sometimes done as a kernel patch

Attempted installation on a Toshiba Satellite CT55 with a Samsung 500G SSD

With ubuntu server 22.04LTS, OS install was successful, and I can see the
module was loaded:

# modprobe speakup_soft

The 'espeakup' package is then installed to make the computer talk:

# Apt-get install espeakup

However, there was no speech after the install of the package finished, and
I am unable to figure why it is not talking - maybe the firmware driver is
incorrect?

Switched to Debian 11.3, choose 's' for speech at the selection prompt, the
talking installer starts, and the installation process was successful, the
CD drive spits out the disk, and hit return to reboot

However, after the reboot, the laptop was unable to detect the OS -
apparently the files needed to boot were somehow not installed [I switched
to tty2 and looked around before rebooting after installing again, and see
the boot folder was missing]

Any suggestions & help appreciated, thank you very much for looking

--David

----- End forwarded message -----